A balanced diet is something we are constantly reminded of in magazines and by the government as ways of leading a healthy and longer life. Not always that easy with so many temptations along the way offering fast food, sugary and fatty foods. Smoking and alcohol don't help and missed meals are taken because of the pace in which we live. It is a discipline to not deviate of course. The benefits do far out way the negatives. A well balanced diet provides you with energy, clear skin, healthy body and organs, a sharp mind and protects you from diseases and infections.
A balanced diet is the adequate amount of nutrients required for living and growth.
We can talk of food in five groups for a healthy balanced diet-
1) Cereals, wheat and rice are need for starch, carbohydrates, Vitamin B and of course fibre. We should have 6 -8 servings daily.
2) Dairy products like milk and cheese provide us with protein, calcium and vitamins like A, B2, B12 and D. Daily intake 2 -4
3) Vegetable and fruit for minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates and fibre. Daily servings 2 -3
4) Meat , fish and poultry for protein, vitamin B12 , zinc and iron. Daily servings 2 -3
5) Oils, fats and sugars are the major source of energy for our bodies.
I know it is easy for health chiefs to dictate their ideas on what we should be eating and it is not always easy to fit these recommended servings into our busy lifestyles. How ever a useful tip is if you should miss out on your daily intake alway carry some fruit around with you or nutrition bar.